Ball bearings are an important component of many modern machines, and when one wears out, replacement time could cut into your profits. While you might not think about your ball bearings as often as you should, setting up regular inspection and replacement can help cut down on any machinery downtime. It’s better to replace them earlier than wait for them to fail.
Asking how long a ball bearing should last is asking for a number of different opinions—but the short answer boils down to, “it depends on how well you maintain your ball bearings.” It will also depend on the type of work your machine is performing, and how many bearings are involved. The following are some quick tips about industrial ball bearing maintenance and replacement in Lubbock, TX. If you use proper care, your ball bearings could last eight to 12 years before needing to be replaced.
How are bearings maintained?
The key to ball bearings that last is proper lubrication—you want them to be slick enough to do their job, and to ward off dirt and grime. Here are some tips:
- Use great care: Bearings get damaged when dirt, dust and grime are involved. Since they’re relatively delicate (for an industrial component), they should not be exposed to any airborne contaminants. Even the tiniest speck of dirt can result in misalignment.
- Check the housing and shaft: When you install or replace your bearings, check the housing and shaft for any damage. Wipe each clean with a soft, clean cloth, and if there are any nicks or burrs, make sure they’re eliminated.
- Mount correctly: Be sure to mount the bearings correctly, depending on the type and their application. Any problems with mounting will also result in misalignment and other issues.
- Avoid preheating and overheating: If the bearings are heated over capacity, they could soften the bearing steel and throw the entire machine off, resulting in further damage. Never heat the bearings with an open flame.
- Use the proper tools: Finally, use the proper tools for your bearing installation or replacement. If a job calls for a specific fitting kit, type of lubrication or hydraulic nut, among others, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s recommendation exactly.
- Stay away from water: Water exposure can lead to corrosion, which will cause the ball bearings to prematurely fail. Be sure to keep your bearings away from water, and wear gloves when handling them—even sweat can lead to rust and corrosion issues.
With these simple tips, you’ll be able to maximize the life of your ball bearings.
Your source for industrial ball bearings in Lubbock, TX
Keeping your machinery running properly is imperative for keeping your business running smoothly, and no one knows this better than M.B. McKee Company, Inc. We’ve been supplying components for industrial, agricultural and commercial machinery since 1943. We also offer in-house engineering and design services. Whatever you need, we’re sure to have it or can help you dream it into reality. Call us today for more information about our products and services.
Categorised in: Industrial Bearings
This post was written by Writer