So much of our industrial machinery relies on ball bearings to function properly. When a bearing fails, it interferes with its proper functioning and could even cause damage to other components. Maintaining your bearings will help improve performance, save money on repair costs and reduce downtime. Here’s how to ensure your ball bearings in Lubbock, TX are always in their best working order:
- Storage and handling matter: The way you store your bearings has an impact on how they perform. Store your bearings in a clean, dry, sealed container that will prevent dirt, dust and any other contaminants from coming into contact with them. Never install bearings that have been dropped or otherwise subject to direct force—they can develop small cracks that will cause the bearings to fail.
- Inspect before installation: Before you install your bearings, look closely at the housing and shaft to see if they’re showing any signs of damage. Wipe the shaft clean with a soft, dry cloth to remove any dust or debris.
- Use the right mounting method: Before you install and mount your bearings, you need to make sure you’re using the right installation method. Certain bearings require press fit, shrink fit or other mounting methods. Using the wrong mounting can damage the bearing and other components.
- Know your tools: If you use the wrong tools to install or handle your industrial bearings in Lubbock, TX, you can risk damaging them further. General tools are not designed to handle delicate bearings—you need specialized equipment for these components.
- Lubrication is key: Since ball bearings are subject to a significant amount of friction, they require proper lubrication to prevent damage. Whether you use grease- or oil-based lubricants will depend on your environment, temperature, speed and the load they’re bearing.
- Be aware of the heat limit: If your bearings get too hot, the metal can soften, warp or otherwise change form, decreasing the load capacity and causing bearing failure.
- Keep it dry: Your bearings need to stay dry—contact with water or operating in frequently humid conditions will cause the bearings to corrode and fail. Water-resistant grease can help, but for permanently humid conditions, try ceramic bearings.
The best thing you can do to make sure your bearings are in good shape is monitor them for signs of failure—the sooner you notice any issues, the less likely your machines will suffer any further damage. Unusual noises, excessive temperature and strange vibrations can indicate a problem with the bearings.
Don’t hesitate to replace bearings early and often, either—they have a direct impact on the lifespan of your other components.
Get ball bearings in Lubbock, TX
Need to repair or replace your ball bearings in Lubbock, TX? M.B. McKee Company, Inc. provides components for agricultural, industrial and commercial machinery. Since 1943, we’ve done our best to match clients with high-quality parts, while our in-house engineering department can help you design efficient and effective systems for your business. Call us today to learn more about our selection and services.
Categorised in: Industrial Bearings
This post was written by Writer